2023 GWB PROGRAM
- Begins January 31 and ends May 15.
- Tuesdays, 4:00-5:15pm @ Encinitas Community Park
- Thursdays, 4:00-5:15pm @ Encinitas Community Park
- Fridays, 4:00-5:15pm @ Carmel Del Mar Elementary
- Sundays, 11:30am-12:45pm @ Torrey Pines Elementary
- Players should bring all of their equipment and a GWB reversible.
- GWB encourages every player to participate in their respective communities SDYLA Season & will make every effort to have minimum conflict with SDYLA lacrosse.
- There are No Tournaments during the Spring season
- Begins mid May following the conclusion of the SDYLA Season and ends July 31
- 2x a week full team practice
- 2x per week GWB “drop in” skill sessions
- Summer Tournaments
- 6/3-6/4 (Sat-Sun) – SoCal Summer Kickoff – Irvine, CA – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 6/17-6/18 (Sat-Sun) – Denver Shootout – Denver, CO – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 6/20-6/23 (Tues-Thurs) – Vail Lacrosse Tournament – Vail, CO – GWB 2030
- 7/22 (Sat) – GWB 3×3 Tournament & Team Party – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- Begins Mid-September concludes Mid-January 2024
- 2x a week of full team practice
- 2x a week of GWB “drop in” skill sessions
- Fall Tournaments
- 10/14-10/15 (Sat-Sun) – Santa Barbara Showdown – Carpinteria, CA – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 1/11-11/12 (Sat-Sun) – Autumn Tilt – Oceanside, CA – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 12/2-12/3 (Sat-Sun) – Blackjack Classic – Henderson, NV – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 1/6-1/7 (Sat-Sun) – Adrenaline Challenge – Del Mar, CA – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- 1/13-1/14 (Sat-Sun) – Sand Storm – Indio, CA – GWB 2028, 2030 & 2031
- Coaches & Training – The best team coaches in SoCal & year round access to 2x a week Small group sessions with Coach Cooper. GWB is the only lacrosse program in SoCal that offers players year round training four times per week.
- Uniform Pack – Shooter shirt, Reversible, Shorts, Socks
- Instagram content creation – pays for videographer/editing
- Access to the top lacrosse events in the West
- Game film breakdown following tournaments
Registration is for entire 2023 calendar year, if you wish to cancel your GWB membership you can contact Steve Sepeta & Brian Cooper.
GWB 2028’s – Adrln Blackjack Classic ’22 Champs
Brian Cooper met Wes Berg in San Diego in 2019 & shortly after meeting they began coaching together. Brian & Wes felt that San Diego youth lacrosse coaching lagged far behind their hometowns (Maryland & British Columbia, respectively. GWB began as an intensive training program for Southern California lacrosse players who sought dedicated, high-level instruction. During the early months of these training groups Brian & Wes found that they were both abnormally passionate about working with young lacrosse players, and decided to invest their time into growing GWB. Over the years the demand for us to start our own club teams grew too loudly for us to ignore. Our inaugural GWB 2028 team has had a lot of success, which allowed us to expand into younger age groups & put us on Adrenaline’s radar. We are thrilled to partner with the Adrenaline to be the Southern California’s best youth lacrosse club.
GWB was created to give the most promising young lacrosse players in the San Diego area the best chance of reaching their full potential. Our practices focus on individual skill development with high tempo drills that encourage creativity. We believe the best way for kids to develop is through positive reinforcement, letting them play through mistakes, and creating an environment filled with energy & competition. We spend half of every practice focusing on technique, learning a specific skill, understanding lacrosse concepts, etc. We spend the remaining half of practice in semi structured “free play” drills/situations that encourage our players to play creatively. Come check out a practice and you’ll see the difference.
CULTURE & EXPECTATIONS
- GWB players have lacrosse at the top of their athletic priorities. We support and encourage multi-sports athletes but know from experience that in order to activate your lacrosse potential, the commitment to lacrosse must stand above all other sports.
- Practice is the most important part of our program. Our coaches take time to build practice plans that are cohesive and compound on previous sessions. This is more of a “class” thatn your run of the mill practice. If you miss GWB practices you will miss key information & development that your teammates now possess. Our coaches do not lean on sticks & roll the balls out. We expect our players to bring the same passion & attention to detail to practice that we demand of our coaches.
- It pays to be a winner. We aim to build competitive athletes and foster their development in a constantly competitive environment. We play for points in every drill, with the winning teams rewarded & the losing team punished at the drills conclusion.
Brian Cooper – Founder, Program Director & Team Coach
Brian Cooper attended Archbishop Spalding High School in Severn, Maryland where he remains one of the most decorated players in the school’s history. US graduating in 2010, Brian was named a US Lacrosse All-American, as well as an Under Armor All-American.
Brian was the #36 overall recruit in the Nation and the #11 ranked midfielder by Inside Lacrosse. Cooper went on to become a 3 year starter on the defense at University of Maryland, where he played for legendary Coach, John Tillman. After his senior season, Brian was honored with the William Cole Award as Maryland’s best midfielder. Brian was then selected as the #64 pick in the MLL draft by the Chesapeake Bayhawks, whom he played with professionally for 3 years.
In 2016, Brian became the defensive coordinator at La Costa Canyon High School. In his first season, Brian led a defense that gave up a CIF-low of 6.7 goals per game. The Mavericks capped their historic season by winning the CIF Championship & receiving a #2 ranking in California.
Brian was named Head Coach of Concordia University’s men’s lacrosse team in 2017, where he lead the Eagles to a 12-3 record, an SLC Championship game appearance, and a berth in the MCLA National Championship during his first season. Brian was named SLC Coach of the Year by his peers.
Founded GWB in 2021 after serving as Southern California Bulls Youth Director for 3 years.
Director of Coaching – Encinitas Mustangs
WCS 2028 Gold – Head Coach
Team SoCal WSYL 2028 – Head Coach
Hobbies/Passions: Golf, Poker, Epsom Salt Baths, Reading
Wes Berg – Founder & Team Coach
Wesley Berg grew up playing minor hockey and lacrosse in Coquitlam B.C. He graduated from Charles Best Secondary and went on to attend school at Denver University where he graduated with a Bachelors in Business Administration. He majored in Construction Management with a minor in Marketing making the Deans list in 2013. During College he coached youth box and field lacrosse programs throughout Colorado and B.C. He graduated from Denver as the all-time scoring leader. As a Captain in his Senior year Wes lead the Denver Pioneers to the first ever National Championship in school history. This was also the first and only time a school west of the Mississippi has won a Lacrosse National Title in NCAA division one.
Wes has found success before college at the Canadian National level becoming one of the youngest players in history to win a national title with his hometown Coquitlam Adanacs. He played for 5 straight Canadian national titles in Coquitlam where he became 3rd all time in Minto cup scoring. Before and during university he played on team Canada winning a silver medal in 2012 and a Gold Medal in 2014. After college he was drafted 4th overall in the NLL. He was also drafted to Denver Outlaws in the MLL where he won the MLL championship in 2016 and 2018.
2022 World Champion with Team Canada Sixes, Team Captain
2022 Offensive Coordinator National Champion San Diego Royals (NCBS)
2021 Offensive Coordinator National Champion San Diego Royals (NCBS)
Junior Seals Box Program – Director & Coach
NLL Seals Asst. Captain & 2022 team leader in Points
2021 World Champion Chaos LC PLL
2018 World Champion Denver Outlaws MLL
2016 World Champion Denver Outlaws MLL
2015 NCAA Champion Denver University, National Champion most outstanding player
2014 World Champion Team Canada
2014 Canadian National Championship Jim Bishop award, Playoff MVP
2012 Scoring leader Canadian National championship (Minto Cup)
2012 U-19 Team Canada Captain
2011 BCJLA scoring leader, MVP
2010 National Champion Coquitlam Adanacs (Minto Cup Champions)
Email Brian Cooper at email@example.com.